East Central Electric will offer competitive rates and provide safe, reliable, electric energy and related services to our members while remaining financially sound, environmentally conscience and continuing to uphold the Cooperative Principles.
Our service area covers 3,000 square miles and includes portions of Creek, McIntosh, Muskogee, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Tulsa and Wagoner counties.
The Cooperative’s $121,282,566 net electric plant provides service at cost to 33,508 meters through a network of 6,247.67 miles of power lines and 23 substations. Service crews are stationed in Bixby, Bristow, Checotah, Muskogee, Okemah and Okmulgee.
Major wholesale power sources are KAMO Power, Vinita, and Western Farmers Electric, Anadarko. The Cooperative is financed by loans from the National Rural Utilities Cooperative Finance Corporation (CFC), Rural Utilities Service (RUS), CoBank and paid-in capital from member/owners.
The Cooperative’s policies are set by a seven-member board of Trustees, elected for three-year terms by the member/owners. They represent seven districts. A Manager supervises the operation of the Cooperative with the aid of five departments: Member Services, Office Services, Accounting, Human Resources and Operations & Engineering.
East Central Electric’s Articles of Incorporation were approved November 15, 1938. Charter members who filed the Articles were J.B. Berryman, Okemah; D.M. Bonner, Henryetta; Buster Brown, Bixby; D.W. Kinsey, Hoffman; Homer Penequin, Henryetta; George W. Sartin, Haskell; J. Harry Swan, Okmulgee; Donald A. Turnisky, Mounds; W.S. Warner, Muskogee and Fred E. Wilson, Beggs. Berryman, Swan, Turinsky, Warner and Wilson were the first Trustees.
The Cooperative’s first sub-station was energized in 1939 in the Bald Hill area. The first electric meter was set in December 1939 near Beggs on the J.E. Capps farm.