Position Title: Network Engineer
Location: Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Salary Range: Based on experience
ecoLink, a subsidiary of East Central Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, is a fiber optic based service provider building high speed internet and phone service to 30,000 electric members, spanning 3,000 square miles in east central Oklahoma.
ecoLink is expanding its networking team and has an opening for a Network Engineer. This position is located in Okmulgee, Oklahoma and is not a work from home or remote position. Salary will be negotiated based upon experience.
The Network Engineer is experienced in the configuration and operation of core networks, broadband access equipment, and servers used to deploy services to end users and customers. The Network Engineer is well versed in layer 1-3 technologies and supporting networking protocols, is a self-starter and operates with minimal supervision. The Network Engineer mentors and trains staff in the day to day operation of the network and the provisioning of services, and provides tier-3 customer technical support.
The Network Engineer maintains or assists with the deployment and configuration of routing and switching equipment, broadband access equipment, a cloud based management platform for customer premise equipment, and server configuration and deployment for network related functions.
The Network Engineer reports to the Network Operations Manager, takes a lead role in the networking group, and maintains good relationships with co-workers, vendors, contractors, members, and customers, and other electric cooperatives.
- Builds and maintains the core routing network, which consists of Juniper MX routers. You are responsible for developing and testing the configurations and troubleshooting commands used by Network Technicians
- Builds and maintains the PON access network, which consists of Calix AXOS equipment. You are responsible for creating initial turn up configurations, driving the expansion of the access network, and maintaining the Calix SMX management platform which drives day to day provisioning of services
- Defines workflows within Calix Support Cloud which configure and upgrade customer premise equipment, makes recommendations regarding changes to the workflows, and works with the network team to test and implement CPE changes
- Maintains the voice network using SIP connectivity to whitelabeled voice provider, configures profiles, supports provisioning processes, and monitors health of the voice network
- Builds out and supports the private network connecting the SCADA systems used by the electric cooperative
- Defines and verifies backup schedules using Oxidized, volume snapshots, file backups, or other programs
- Develops and maintains monitoring systems using SNMP, LibreNMS, Grafana, scripts, and other systems
- Monitors availability of security and firmware updates, makes recommendations, and works with the network team to schedule and update systems
- Develops and maintains ansible playbooks, gitlab CI/CD, or other NetDevOps systems to automate configuration changes and other network related tasks where appropriate. Supports a code review process for network changes
- Sets documentation, network diagram, and labeling standards for networking staff to follow. Validates the network documentation.
- Works with field and support staff and vendors to resolve outages and resolve trouble tickets, and takes ownership of high level network events. Works with the Sales Coordinator to answer questions from business and enterprise customers to set expectations for what can and can’t be provided.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. This is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and tasks that may be assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required
- A four year college degree in a MIS related field or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of experience in a network related role
- Professional certification or course completion in Networking, Linux, Juniper, or Calix preferred
- 5+ years experience with router and switch configuration in an enterprise or service provider setting
- BGP, OSPF, and MPLS
- Fiber based WAN connections, Pseudowire circuits, and familiarity with MEF
- Private networking using VLAN separation, IRB, and MPLS VPNv4 or SD-WAN
- VLAN tagging, 802.1p QoS, and Q-in-Q double tagging
- Firewalls, access lists, NAT, and VPNs
- Linux, DHCP and DNS administration
- Experience with VMWare or another hypervisor, iSCSI
- GPON or other broadband based access layer technologies
- Juniper and Calix experience
- Backup configuration tools, such as Oxidized, Rancid, or Solar Winds
- SIP and VoIP configuration and troubleshooting
- Wireshark, tcpdump, traceroute and other network testing utilities
- OTDRs, Cable Testers, Exfo test sets
- Experience with git, Gitlab, Ansible, shell scripts, and scripting languages
- Experience performing firmware and security updates for multiple types of systems and equipment
This position mainly requires sitting to complete work with a computer and telephone. Some walking and standing are also required, as well as occasional lifting, carrying, or pushing/pulling equipment such as routers, switches, or servers generally less than 20 pounds. A team approach is expected for tasks with equipment greater than 20 pounds. Visual acuity is essential.
This position has on-call rotation duties. Some irregular hours may be required. There is occasional day time travel for training, equipment deployment, configuration and replacement, or various errands as needed to complete the responsibilities of the position.